The National Office of Disaster Services (NODS) has set a deadline of September 7 to see how best the number of Barbuda residents now living at the Barrymore Hotel can be reduced.
This follows a meeting last evening (Tues.) with the residents at the Hotel which was attended by Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Public Works, other personnel from the ministry and Director of NODS Philmore Mullin.
It was revealed that along with Barbudans who evacuated from the sister-isle after Hurricane Irma last year, some individuals, who are employed, had been living at the Hotel for as long as ten years. “Now this is troubling and I believe we need to take whatever step is necessary to ensure that the space is freed up. Those who are living and working need to find alternative arrangements”, says Mullin.
There are others who are living at Barrymore, whose homes have been re-roofed.
Mullin says the relevant coordination, which should be taking place among the various parties, seems not to be happening.
NODS will be facilitating those individuals who will be returning to Barbuda by providing transportation and securing accommodation in the shelter on Barbuda in a timely manner.
Individuals are asked to contact the office at 462-4206 so the necessary arrangements can be made.
The Public Works Department will be looking at the terms and conditions of persons who were occupying the space before Hurricane Irma to see how best this aspect can be addressed.